Monday, December 8, 2014

12 Steps...Do they Work?

The twelve-step program is a set of guiding principles outlining a course of action for recovery. Members of the program attend regular meetings. Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) was the first 12 step group and the method has been adapted to include narcotics, overeaters and many other groups. The process involves “working through the 12 steps,” with a supportive group. Membership in a 12 step group requires regular attendance at meetings, the selection of a personal sponsor to assist with the process, and a belief in the spiritual principles of the 12 steps. Does it work? 

2 comments:

R C A said...

I learned a lot through NA(Narcotics Anonymous) and AA when I first realized I had a problem at 18 years old. Being in a small town, the NA program was less active than the AA one so I attended both to get as much support as possible. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using."

I believe it is worth a try at it. To get much out of it really requires a solid effort. I've seen it work for many people who stayed clean for years. I myself learned a lot in my year there, although I have distanced myself from it since. It was an invaluable stepping stone for me to learn to live a normal life.

There are also similar programs - Nar-Anon and Al-anon - for the family and friends of addicts.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

It seems there’s a lot of misconceptions on the 12 steps program. The 12 step approach should not be confused with the treatment. I believe that these programs can be a wonderful resource for those who find them amenable. Treatment centers should recommend them. Knowing that you cannot recover alone, that you need others to inspire and listen and offer support and encouragement, working the steps is a simple that can help you achieve your goal of effective long-term recovery.
http://associatesinmedtox.com/